From http://friendsofdenmark.org. Posted for ZWT6. To make smorrebrod, cut crusts from slices of pumpernickel or rye bread, but not French bread, when using them for a base. Be careful to spread soft butter entirely over the piece of bread you use. This keeps moist ingredients from seeping through and making the bread soggy. Ingredients should be artfully arranged. Sandwith will be eaten with a knife and fork.
- Spread 1 teaspoon butter on each slice of bread, being sure to cover each completely.
- Cut each buttered slice in half crosswise or into 2 (4-by-2-inch) pieces.
- Top each piece of bread with one-eighth of the herring, placing the fish smooth-side up.
- Top each with several onion rings and 1 tomato wedge.
- Garnish with watercress or parsley.