Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Onion, Rosemary, Sage and Thyme flavor these biscuits making theme wonderful for the Holiday table. Also great for Thanksgiving because these biscuits can be made ahead and frozen up to a week ahead. When ready to serve, thaw, wrap in foil, and heat in a 325º oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk, chilled
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh sage, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, chilled cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 425°. Heat a small skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onion; cook 6 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Spoon onion into a blender. Add buttermilk and process until smooth. Cool.
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flours and next 5 ingredients (flours through herbs) in a food processor with a metal blade; pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add onion mixture; stir just until moist.
- Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface (dough will be sticky), and knead lightly 5 times with floured hands. Roll dough to a 1/2-inch thickness; cut into 10 biscuits with a 3-inch biscuit cutter.
- Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until golden.
Amazing bikkies!!!! Lovely fluffy, flaky and tender on the inside with such a great taste! Mmmm, the herbs really shine through and make for a great tasting treat! I liked the sour touch from the buttermilk and the sweetness from the sauteed onion. YUM! I used whole spelt flour, doubled the herbs and left out the sugar. Other than that though I stuck to your recipe and it was perfect! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this easy and rewarding recipe with us, ~Rita~! Ill make it again! :) Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #24 July 2010.
These biscuits are wonderful. I love the flavor of the onions and herbs in the biscuit. They were quick and easy to make, the crumb was wonderful. The herbs were very subtle, the sweet onion was the predominent flavor. They taste just like stuffing. Thanks for sharing a recipe that I will be enjoying often. :)
These were really awesome biscuits! I loved the seasonings. I'm freeing some to sop up a stew later on and I can't wait!