Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Ok, I'm hungry now... Courtesy Rachael Ray's "30 Minute Meals". For the version in the photo, I added about a teaspoon of paprika to the mix to give it that rich color.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, yellow skinned, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 loaf crusty bread, split lengthwise
- 3⁄4 cup parmigiano, grated
- Melt butter in a small pan over moderate heat. Add onions and garlic and season with sugar, thyme and pepper. Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden in color and translucent.
- Place the split bread on a baking sheet and broil until golden.
- Spread half the onions and garlic on each half of bread in a thin layer. Sprinkle each side of loaf with half the cheese and return to broiler for approximately 30 seconds to bubble cheese.
- Serve with a hearty soup.
Yum! Could not help adding 1 tbs of balsamico to the onions as they where caramelizing. Relatively light weight and healthy recipe.
I really loved the rich flavor the onion added to this dish. I also served this with spaghetti and it was promptly inhaled. I have a feeling this will be served often here. Thanks for sharing this little delight.
Easy and simple to prepare, yet delicious. I came across this recipe while I was heating up some leftover spaghetti sauce and boiling some spaghetti. I had a loaf of French bread, so I decided to give it a try. I followed the directions, except I only used 1/2 small onion, as that was all I had on hand. This Onion & Garlic Bread really jazzed up my dinner. I will make this again. Thanks Sandi!