Have fresh bread in under an hour. This is great buttered, still warm and served with home-made soup. Eat on day of making as these go stale quickly. My instructions are for 4 small loaves (1-2 people). You could easily make 6 or 8 smaller rolls. Australian measurements used.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C, 350 deg F, Gas mark 4.
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl then stir in soup mix and chives.
- Use a flat-bladed knife, and a cutting action, to mix in the buttermilk. This should form a soft dough. Use the extra buttermilk to achieve this consistency, if too dry.
- Lightly flour your work surface. Turn out dough and quickly knead into a smooth ball. Divide into 4 even pieces. Shape each piece into a ball.
- Place balls onto a floured baking tray. Allow room for each to rise. Sift a little flour over the top and make a slash, with a sharp knife, across each loaf.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.