Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A flavoursome Indian recipe perfect even as an appetizer. Do not re-heat in a microwave or they will become rubbery. Instead warm up in the oven to crisp up.
- 50 g lentils
- 2 large onions
- 1 large carrot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 150 g chickpea flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 medium potato, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 25 g sliced almonds
- oil, for deep frying
- Soak the lentils in water for 4 hours.
- Put the carrots and onions in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave to drip for 30 minutes. Squeeze out any moisture.
- Drain and dry the lentils.
- Sift flour, baking powder and ground spices. Add the rest of the ingredients except oil and mix by hand.
- Heat the deep fryer to 170°C/340°F.
- Roll dessert spoonfuls of the mixture into balls and drop in the oil. Fry no more than 7 at a time.
- Cook for 7 minutes until golden, then drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve hot with a sweet and sour sauce such as my * Indian Sweet and Sour Date Sauce, Recipe #372084.