Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is delicious! A bit on the spicy side, but very tolerable. This is a VERY easy dish to make, and only dirties one skillet...hardly any clean up! I
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups white rice
- 1 cup mild enchilada sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (more if you like hotter foods)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese
- sour cream (optional)
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic and chicken. Stir occasionally. Cook for 4-5 minutes until chicken cooked almost all the way through.
- Add rice and toast for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, enchilada sauce, cumin, red pepper flakes and salt.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Cook, covered, 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat.
- Spread cheese over the top, replace cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Top with sour cream and chopped cilantro when serving.
This was okay. Interesting to steam rice with enchilida sauce. I used green sauce. Instead of cilantro, I used green onions and topped with sirracha. Made with some grilled zucchini. My husband said, " I don't know where you came up with theis but it's good!"
Made this for dinner tonight over all I thought it was ok nothing wrong with the recipe my family is just extremely fussy they just didn't care for it. I thought it was pretty good! but probably wont make it again
I picked up some chicken breasts at the grocery store at a really good price. I had no clue what I was going to do with them. Bored with our same old, same old. DH said chicken and rice. So I searched for recipes and came upon this one. It is very, very good. We really liked this dish. I liked the "one skillet" part, and the fact that there wasn't any canned cream of anything soup in it. I left out the enchilada sauce, only because I didn't have any. I subbed a small can of tomato sauce instead. I'm sure it would be really good with the enchilada sauce. I added a little Frank's hot sauce to my plate before I ate, and I really enjoyed it. Thanks saucysteph for posting this simple dish.