Recipe by French Tart
The "One Shot" is a generous slug of Bourbon whiskey, (My husband's favourite tipple after Scotch Whisky!) which I think really gives this sauce a lovely mellow feel to it. The "Smokin'" comes from the addition of liquid smoke and chipotle peppers, and the rest of the title tells you this is GREAT if used whilst cooking meat, poultry, sausages or fish OUTDOORS, preferably over wood or coals! I devised this barbecue/marinade sauce some time ago, and I have decided to post it now, in order to enter the Grilling and Barbecue Forum's BBQ sauce contest! I hope you enjoy this as much as we do - happy OUTDOOR cookin'!! N.B. Quantities listed fill a large jam jar, about 20 fluid ounces - you can cut back on the ingredients to suit your requirements, but it does keep very well in the fridge.
Top Review by Chef Shadows
Used this sauce to cook an eye round roast ( 5.5 LB ) in the oven on 275 F. Cooked for 4 hours! Got a real nice BBQ'd roast in return! My family really liked the sauce! They want me to try it on chicken next! Thanks FT! Another fine recipe ! update: 10/04/08 Used this recipe again replacing the bourbon with tequilla for chicken... outstanding!!!!
- 396.89 g bottle tomato ketchup
- 118.29 ml bourbon whiskey
- 9.85-14.78 ml liquid smoke flavoring or 9.85-14.78 ml mesquite liquid smoke flavoring
- 44.37 ml brown sugar
- 29.58 ml peach jam or 29.58 ml apricot jam
- 4-6 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped
- 59.16 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 14.78 ml dry English-style mustard
- 9.85 ml celery seeds
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 9.85 ml garlic granules or 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 59.16 ml oil, such as sunflower oil or 59.16 ml light olive oil
- 2.46-4.92 ml cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt & pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan & cook over a low to medium for 10 to 15 minutes, until everything is dissolved and the sauce is smooth.
- Either combine this sauce in your recipe, as a marinade or as an ingredient addition, or serve on the side, with your choice of meat, fish, ribs or poultry.
- Great in all types of hot sandwiches, ribs and pulled pork or barbeque brisket sandwich rolls!
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store in a clean jam jar or bottle for up to 2 weeks in the fridge after and before use.