Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Goodnight Trail Cook, TX 1861. Charlie was a cook for the Goodnight Outfit. He was bad to drink whiskey. One day he was drinking when he saw the boss coming and he emptied a glass of whiskey into the steak sauce he was cooking. He didn't have time to make more steak sauce, so he served it with the whiskey in it. All the hands and the boss thought it was good, so he made it this way all the time. From the Texas Longhorn Cookbook.
- 1 lb butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup whiskey
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Melt butter in a saucepan, add onion and garlic. Cook slowly until onion is soft. Add remaining.
- ingredients and beat to mix. Makes 3 cups.
I made this sauce to put on our steaks we grilled last weekend. Very tasty...even picky hubby liked it. Thanks for the great recipe. Linda Made for Pick-a-Chef Spring 2009