Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Oven baked potatoes with caramelized onion. This recipe can be made with simply one potato, two, or as many as will fit in your oven proof bakers. The recipe posted is for one to four whole potatoes. These also will re-heat nicely if there are leftovers. Baking time will vary depending on the size of potatoes. I always use a huge onion when making this so there is a lot of onion sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Use oven proof baking dish with lid large enough to leave some room around each potato. Disposable aluminum pans work well too if you cover with foil for first part of cooking.
- Peel potatoes and take thin slice off each one so they will sit flat. Cut each potato from top to bottom into 1/4 (or slightly thicker)slices.
- Cut up onion into medium sized dice.
- Place potato/es in baking dish, sprinkle diced onion all around base of them, pour broth over and season with salt and pepper to taste. Lay a long strip of butter over each potato and generously sprinkle paprika over them.
- Cover and bake for approximately 35 to 40 minutes depending on size of potatoes Remove lid and let potatoes brown and crisp up. The onions will caramelize in the reduced broth as they do.
- I'd love to hear your ideas on this recipe as far as other additions such as chopped jalapeno peppers or chopped fresh tomato!
yuuuuummmmm!!! This was beautiful. I added garlic too, and used 4 potatoes. I ended up having not much time on my hands, so instead of letting the sauce reduce down i added 1 tspn of gravox to the stock and quickly stirred it before spooning it over our lamb......what can i say...these tatoes were tasty as!