Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My husband found this recipe in Men's Health magazine, and it's one of his favourite staple dishes, plus he knows that it's not so bad for him either.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean turkey mincemeat
- 1 (28 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) tin no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) tin kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) tin pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes
- Saute the onion, pepper and garlic in a little olive oil over medium heat. Add the turkey and break up with a wooden spoon,cook until turkey turns white.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce and the remainder of the ingredients. Bring to a boil then cover and cook on a low heat for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Serve with rice and top with sour cream and cheese if desired.
Very good I will make it again I will admit I added sausage to it as well
5 stars for ease of preparation and wonderful flavor. It's healthy, too! What is not to love?! I'm tucking this into my best-of-the-best file. It will be perfect for my work lunches all week long. I'm already looking forward to lunch! P.S. I used 1 1/4 lb of ground turkey and thought it was perfect. Also, I did add some salt while cooking..probably about 2 t for the large pot of chili.
"Ono" -- which means delicious in Hawaiian!! I only used 1 small can of tomato sauce and 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes since we don't like too much tomatoey things. It was o-so-good! Leftovers will be eaten for hubby's lunch next week and I'll be making this one again. Made for Rookie Tag Game 2013.