2 hrs 20 mins
This recipe will need some time to cook and develop the flavors, it's an easy recipe that is done all in one pot and even tastes better the next day! You can use diced tomatoes with juice in place of the stewed tomatoes but I have to say that the stewed tomatoes are better ;-) The water/cornstarch is only optional add in for a thicker sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2-2 lbs sirloin tip steaks (3-4)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional) or 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped, to taste (optional)
- 3 -4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 small bay leaves (or use 1 large)
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 (16 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon beef bouillon powder (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup water, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or use beef broth) (optional)
- 1Heat oil and butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Add in 2 steaks at a time and brown on each side, remove to a plate.
- 3Continue with remaining steak/s and remove to a plate.
- 4Add more oil into the pot if needed,.
- 5Add in onions, celery, bell pepper, chili flakes (if using) and dried oregano; saute stirring with a wooden spoon for about 3 minutes scraping up any browned bits on bottom of the pot.
- 6Add in garlic and bay leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
- 7Add in mushrooms, stewed tomatoes with juice, Worcestershire sauce and beef bouillon powder (if using) bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- 8Add the browned steaks back to the pot.
- 9Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- 10Reduce heat to medium-low and cook covered for about 1-1/2 hours.
- 11If you wish to thicken the juice, remove the beef to a bowl or plate.
- 12Mix the water or beef broth with cornstarch until smooth and add into the simmering liquid, stir until thickened (about 2 minutes) then add in the steaks back to the pot.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for One-Pot Swiss Steak With Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.4
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 95.3 mg
- Sodium 497.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 26.5 g