Recipe by peg_lyn
This is an easy and delicious way to prepare fresh sweet potatoes on the stove top. I have adapted this recipe from one I found in the "Mamma Dip's Kitchen" cookbook. This is a family favorite in my home.
- 2 lbs fresh sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon self-rising flour
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the ptoatoes.
- Peel and slice them into 1/4 inch widths. Place slices in a bowl of ice cold water to keep their color.
- Mix together the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper and flour in a seperate bowl.
- Drain the ptoato slices and place them in a 3 QT pot.
- Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the potatoes.
- Add the water and butter.
- Let the potatoes come to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and let simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir lightly and serve.