Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy and delicious way to prepare fresh sweet potatoes on the stove top. I have adapted this recipe from one I found in the "Mamma Dip's Kitchen" cookbook. This is a family favorite in my home.
- 2 lbs fresh sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon self-rising flour
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- Wash the ptoatoes.
- Peel and slice them into 1/4 inch widths. Place slices in a bowl of ice cold water to keep their color.
- Mix together the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper and flour in a seperate bowl.
- Drain the ptoato slices and place them in a 3 QT pot.
- Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the potatoes.
- Add the water and butter.
- Let the potatoes come to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and let simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir lightly and serve.
Excellant choice for PAC 2010. Reading the review, I did keep an eye on this and had it on low this is IMP. I think. Made this for Easter dinner.
This IS an easy way to make candied sweet ptoatoes from fresh potaotes. However, One must be very careful and watch the temp to make sure it doesn't burn on the bottom. Next time I will be better about stirring the pot and reducing the heat--this is not a set and forget recipe.
My DW made these for dinner and they were delicious. She was impressed by the easy recipe. This one's a keeper!