Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Endlessly variable this is a favorite weeknight dinner for us. You can use 3 1/2 C water and cover the pot rather than leaving cover off. Add 1-2 handfuls of spinach 1-2 minutes before done.
- 12 ounces linguine (or other pasta varieties)
- 4 1⁄2 cups liquid (water, broth, marinara sauce)
- 1 -2 cup vegetables, sliced thinly (mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, etc)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 -2 tablespoon herbs, to taste (parsley, oregano, thyme, basil)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine pasta, vegetables, onion, garlic, red-pepper flakes, basil, oil, 2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and water in a large straight-sided skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil mixture, stirring and turning pasta frequently with tongs, until pasta is al dente and water has nearly evaporated, about 9 minutes. Adjust cooking time to pasta types.
- *PASTA PRIMAVERA: use bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, peas, corn, onion, or whatever other veggies you have on hand. Use chicken stock for liquid, add nutritional yeast and 1/2 C cream or milk before serving to make a creamy sauce. *I usually saute veggies, remove from pan and add to cooked pasta*.
- *MARINARA: use 1/2 pasta sauce, 1/2 water, use onions, mushrooms, olives, pepperoni, red pepper flakes.
- *SAUSAGE & PEPPERS: Saute sliced Italian sausage with onions, bell peppers, use 1/2 chicken stock and 1/2 marinara sauce, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes.
- *THAI: Use sesame oil, saute protein (chix, tofu, pork) with onions, carrots, peppers, 1-2 T ginger, red pepper, Add 3 T peanut butter, 2 T fish (soy) sauce. Garnish with cilantro, lime.