Recipe by wildheart
Perfect for those evenings that you're home, hungry, and in the mood to eat, but not cook. This is a great 'first meal' to teach your kids or spouse. Choose either Italian or Mexican.
Top Review by Berliner Goere
This was really good. I made the mexican version with chorizo and mexican stewed tomatoes. Served with cheese, more sliced jalapenos and sour cream on the side. The only change I will make next time is to use 12 oz of spiral pasta. Thanks for posting.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb Italian sausage or 1 lb chorizo sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) canschopped stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta (rigatoni, spirals or small shells)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms (if making italian)
- 8 ounces canned chilies or 8 ounces frozen chilies (if making mexican)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup grated cheese (parmesan for italian, monterrey jack for mexican)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives (italian)
- 1 chopped jalapeno (mexican)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the meat, onion, garlic, and sweet pepper.
- Add either the mushrooms or the jalepeno.
- Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Drain off fat.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Cover tightly.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and uncover.
- Simmer, uncovered, 25-30 mintues or until the pasta is tender.
- Stir occasionally, and add a little water if necessary.
- Serve with the cheese on the side, let everyone sprinkle their own.