Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Huey Hewitson. I have made some changes to suit us which is to omit 2 celery stalks diced and I cut the onion in chunky wedges and have added potatoes, have made potatoes and celery optional,
- 44.37 ml soy sauce
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 59.14 ml plain flour
- 1.23 ml salt (or more if you wish)
- 2.46 ml pepper (freshly ground)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 sprig thyme (fresh)
- 1 kg lean beef (cubed)
- 3 garlic cloves (large, minced or 3 teaspoons of jarred garlic)
- 1 carrot (medium sliced)
- 1 onion (large fine sliced but I do chunky)
- 6 new potatoes (small halved optional)
- 2 celery ribs (sliced optional)
- 236.59 ml red wine
- 236.59 ml beef stock
- 29.58 ml parsley (fresh finely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 180C fan forced (200C normal).
- Whisk the soy, worcestershire, flour, seasonings, bay leaves and thyme sprigs in a casserole dish (or heavy bottomed pot that can go into the oven).
- Briefly cook over a medium heat until the flour has dissolved.
- Add the cubed beef, garlic, carrot, (potatoes and celery if using), onion, red wine and beef stock.
- Stir with a wooden spoon, cover and cook in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours until the beef is tender, stirring a couple of time.
- Taste the sauce for seasoning and adjust if required.
- If not using the potatoes serve with mashed potatoe or rice.
Another 5 stars from me. This is delicious and oh so easy. As promised in the title you just chuck everything in a pot and shove it into the oven. It came out with tender beef and well cooked veggies. I didn't have any parsley so topped the bowl with a small green onion. DH and I both loved it and it will be making more appearances at this house.
I used 1/2 dried thyme in place of fresh. Did not stir while in 375 F oven b/c we went for a walk and it was fine. Otherwise made as posted.1 kg is about 2 pounds of meat. Thanks ImPat for a tasty, simple, and hearty meal.
I omitted the salt. I used dried thyme. I used the optional celery but omitted the potatoes. The taste of the beef, veggies and gravy are so good. Tonight we ate it with rice. So good. Thanks I'mPat :) Made for the Aussie Swap for November 2010