Appeared in the New York Times, 6/16/13. Hubby (who sometimes balks at vegetarian fare) raved!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup green lentil (or brown)
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, roots trimmed
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt, more as needed
- 1/4 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup long-grain rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cups greens, trimmed and chopped (chard leaves, spinach, kale, mustard or a combination)
- 1Place lentils in a large bowl and add warm tap water to cover by 1 inch. Let soak.
- 2Meanwhile, halve leeks lengthwise; run under warm water to release any grit. Thinly slice leeks crosswise.
- 3Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crispy, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer half the leeks to a bowl to use for garnish and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 4Stir garlic into the pot with the remaining leeks and cook for 15 seconds until fragrant. Stir in rice and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in cumin, allspice and cayenne; sauté 30 seconds.
- 5Drain lentils and stir into pot. Add 4-1/4 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Rinse greens in a colander and spread damp leaves over lentil mixture. Cover and cook 5 minutes more, until rice and lentils are tender and greens are wilted. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with reserved crispy leeks.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for One-Pot Mujadara With Crispy Leeks and Spring Greens
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.7
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1323.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.0 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 15.7 g