Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
from Levi roots in saisnburys magazine feb 2010 not made yet but sounds yummy
Make and share this One Pot Martinique Coconut Chicken Curry (Levi Roots in Sainsbur recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 12 chicken pieces (thighs and drumsticks)
- 2 onions (roughly chopped)
- 500 g butternut squash (peeled, deseeded, and cut into 5cm cubes)
- 2 aubergines (cut into 4cm cubes)
- 2 -3 large potatoes (waxy variety peeled and cut into 4cm cubes)
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 large papaya (ripe, peeled and sliced)
- 1 large mango (ripe, peeled and chopped into 5cm cubes)
- 1⁄2 lime (juiced)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2-1 hot red chili
- Pound all spices into a paste using a pestle and mortar adding 1 teaspoon of sea salt.
- Heat half the oil in flameproof casserole dish or saucepan and season the chicken brown all over in the oil. Remove and set aside. Cook the onions, squash, aubergine and potato in remaining oil. When all veg begins to soften stir and brown add spice mix and cook, stirring for 4 mins to release fragrance of the spices.
- Return chicken to the casserole and add remaining ingredients except the papaya, mango, lime and rum. Bring to boil, reduce heat cover and simmer until chicken is tender and cooked about 40 mins.
- Add papaya, mango, rum and lime 5 mins before serving. Stir cover and cook until fruit is heated through season to taste with salt and pepper.