1/4 Photos of One Pot Macaroni and Cheese by Consumer Reports
Barbara in Alexandria, VA's Note:
Years and years ago, CR reviewed boxed M&C products and came to the conclusion that this recipe was much less expensive and easy. I have used it exclusively since the 70's, shared it with friends, and can tell you it is the best I have ever had. Of course, the prices are from about 30 years ago :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Using a two-quart saucepan, bring salted water to a boil. Stir in the macaroni and return the water to a boil.
- 2Stirring occasionally, continue boiling for four minutes.
- 3Then lower the heat to medium and continue to boil the macaroni with frequent stirring for seven more minutes. (You may need to reduce the heat to its lowest setting for the last two minutes to prevent sticking.)
- 4Add the remainder of the ingredients, stirring well until the cheese is melted. (Total cost per serving: 45 cents.).
- 5To modify and reduce saturated fat and salt, eliminate the salt, substitute low-cholesterol cheese and skim milk for the cheddar and the cream and add two teaspoons of fried onions (one small onion, chopped finely and fried in one teaspoon of canola oil in the pasta pot before you cook the pasta, then set the onion aside and add last to the above recipe). (Total cost per serving: 48 cents.).
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for One Pot Macaroni and Cheese by Consumer Reports
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 576.7
- Calories from Fat 328
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 79.8 mg
- Sodium 790.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 21.3 g