Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is really delicious. Recipe courtesy of Carlsbrad Cravings.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I used all Italian sausage) or 1 lb half Italian sausage (I used all Italian sausage)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 24 ounces traditional Italian sauce
- 8 -10 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into approximately 2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- shredded mozzarella cheese, to taste
- freshly finely grated parmesan cheese, to taste
- ricotta cheese, to taste
- Heat large Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add beef and onion and cook, stirring occasionally until beef is browned. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for 30 seconds.
- Drain off any excess fat.
- Add sauce, 6 cups chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, sugar, spices, and lasagna noodles.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until lasagna noodles are tender, stirring occasionally (approximately 20 to 30 minutes).
- Discard bay leaf and stir in heavy cream and 2 to 4 cups chicken broth to reach desired consistency. Garnish individual servings with desired amount of cheese.