Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe has lots of ingredients, but it's one-pot and pretty easy! Very tasty and belly-warming.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 bell pepper, any color, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 3 green onions, diced
- 3 dried chipotle peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (if you don't have fresh, use 1 - 2 teaspoons of each herb, dry)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons green chili powder (or your fave spicy seasoning) or 2 tablespoons regular chili powder (or your fave spicy seasoning) or 2 tablespoons hot sauce (or your fave spicy seasoning)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1⁄3 cup Bulgar wheat, uncooked (use more rice if you don't have)
- 4 cups water
- 3 vegetable bouillon cubes (several teaspoons of concentrated veggie boullion)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- Saute peppers, celery, onion and green onion in olive oil til tender.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover until rice is done, stirring every few minutes.
- Add more water if needed to get the rice done. You want to have a little sauce at the end, and no burnt rice.
- Use more boullion, chili powder, a shot of hot sauce, and/or more of the spices for flavor if needed.
- You may want to add salt and pepper depending on the saltiness of your boullion.
- (Optional) When it's about ready, add these and simmer until heated through: 1/2 cup veggie sausage and/or 1/2 cup veggie chikn.
- Remove bay leaves and enjoy! Goes great with some nice crusty bread.