Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of those recipes that is usually better the next day after the flavors all meld together. Very quick and easy to make your own by adding or subtracting ingredients. My husband doesn't like really hot food so i use original RoTel tomatoes when he's eating this - if it's just me I go with the hot or extra hot. Great with hot rolls and a vegetable.
- 2 cups macaroni (i usually use shell or elbow)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (more or less to taste)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Rotel Tomatoes
- tomato juice
- Boil 6 cups salted water (add a little oil to the water so the macaroni won't boil over)Add macaroni (stir to separate) let boil for 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Return pot to stove heat oil and add green pepper and onion - saute until tender.
- Add hamburger, salt, pepper and chili powder to onions/pepper mixture and cook until no longer pink.
- Add tomatoes and macaroni to meat mixture and stir well. Add tomato juice to not quite cover all. (More or less tomato juice can be added depending on how soupy you like it. The macaroni soaks up alot of the juice.)
- Simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
I fixed this following the instructions except for adding some minced garlic with the onions, peppers and hamburger mixture. It was close to what I make when wanting comfort food. Very tasty. Made for Spring PAC 2011.
I have been making this for years. Great comfort food. I add a can of chilli beans ( ranch style in Tex ). And we eat it with corn bread. Thanks for reminding me of this recipe.