Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a one dish meal done on the stove top in a cast iron dutch oven. Easy to make and tastes very yummy. This will make your kitchen smell so yummy. I serve this dish with pasta and a salad.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) chicken (cut up, rinse, pat dry)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes (I cut them up in the can with my kitchen shears)
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine (Carbernet Savignon or a Pinot Noir work well)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- Put the olive oil into the bottom of your dutch oven over medium heat.
- Mix together the flour, salt and pepper.
- Lightly dredge your clean, dry chicken pieces in your flour mixture and place them in your dutch oven. Cook them 4-5 minutes on each side until they are a golden brown color. Remove the chicken pieces from your pot and set aside.
- Add your onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme and bay leaf to the pot. Add your red wine. Give the mixture a little mix with your wooden spoon and scrape up all the yummy brown bits from the bottom of your pot.
- Add your cut up plum tomatoes and parsley.
- Bring sauce to a boil. Turn your heat to low to bring the sauce to a simmer. Arrange your browned chicken pieces in the sauce and put the lid on the pot. Cook over low heat for 45 minutes.