- 500 g rindless smoked streaky bacon
- 12 small potatoes, halved
- 12 baby carrots, halved
- 6 turnips, halved (golf-ball sized)
- 6 pickling onions, quartered
- 500 g green beans, cut into 3cm pieces
- 250 g green peas, shelled
- 1⁄2 savoy cabbage or 1⁄2 other green loose-leafed cabbage, sliced
- to taste black pepper, freshly ground
- to taste nutmeg, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Put bacon, potato, carrot, turnip and onion in a heavy saucepan.
- Cover with cold water, bring to a boil and simmer very gently for 45 minutes.
- Raise heat to a bubbling boil and add beans.
- After 5 minutes add peas.
- After another 5 minutes add cabbage. Reduce heat and simmer a further 10 minutes.
- Lift out bacon, cut into small pieces and return to pot. Taste for salt and season with pepper and nutmeg.
- Serve with good sourdough bread.