Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This pork roast may be served as a roast, or you can serve it as suggested below. Either way, you'll have a delicious meal. Pork that is shredded is often referred to as "pulled pork." I saw this recipe demonstrated on YouTube by Korey.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) pork shoulder (can use butt)
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 -2 onion, sliced
- 1 -2 celery rib, cut in chunks
- 1 -2 carrot, cut in chunks
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- Generously salt and pepper the roast. Brown meat on all sides in a skillet. transfer meat to a 3-1/2 to 4 quart crockpot.
- Cover crockpot and cook on LO heat for 8 hours or on HI heat for 4 hours. Remove roast, retain juices.
- This roast may be sliced and served with mashed potatoes for a delicious meal. However, here are three other meals you can make with this meat:.
- Sandwiches: Shred the meat. Add BBQ sauce to meat and serve on toasted buns. Add cheese, caramelized onions, green pepper slices, or whatever you like to the sandwich.
- Soup: Remove fat from the retained liquid from the crockpot. This is easiest if you refrigerate the liquid overnight. Put liquid in a soup pot and add washed and drained black beans along with any leftover onions and green pepper slices. Add chicken stock, tasting as you do, until the flavor pleases you. Just before serving, add shredded pork and heat through.
- Quesadillas: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Lay a flour tortilla in pan and immediately spoon red or green salsa or enchilada sauce over half the tortilla. Cover with shredded cheese. Fold the other half of the tortilla over the filled half and allow to cook until the bottom turns brown and blisters. Flip the tortilla over and cook the other side in the same way.
- Note that you may not have enough meat for all four meals, but you'll probably have enough for three of them. If you run out of meat, make another roast! Seriously! Only this time try pulled chicken or pulled beef. Use the search feature and you'll find recipes.