Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening or 1⁄3 cup cold lard, plus
- 2 tablespoons shortening or 2 tablespoons cold lard
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- In large bowl combine the flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut in the shortening or lard using a pastry blender.
- Lightly beat the egg yolk, water and the apple cider vinegar together in a small bowl. Add this mixture to the flour, mixing with a fork only until moistened. DO NOT overstir.
- Shape the dough into a flat circle. Wrap in plastic or waxed paper. Chill for at least a half hour.
- On a floured cutting board, roll the dough to the diameter of 11 inches. Fit the dough into the pie plate and trim off to within about 1/2" to 1" larger than the size of the pie plate.
- Turn the dough that hangs over the sides under, and crimp edges as desired.
- Fill and bake the pie crust as directed by the recipe you are using.
- YIeld: One 9-inch single pie crust.
Very nice and basic. I used whole wheat flour since that's what I had, and added a pinch of nutmeg since I was making an apple pie. I wasn't very good at rolling it, but this is my first homemade pie shell.