Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
OH this is a wonderful chicken dish. it's fast easy to make and very tasty.
- 1 (7 ounce) package chicken rice-a-roni
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) can chunk chicken, drained or 2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked, cubed
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained or 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- in a large skillet, saute rice in margarine until golden brown over medium heat.
- Stir in water and special seasonings; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli, chicken, tomato and basil.
- Cover, simmer 5-10 minutes more or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Quick and easy to make on a weeknight with leftover cooked chicken. I felt this could use a little more seasoning, maybe garlic and/or cayenne pepper. Not to make it spicy hot, just to add a little more flavor.
Great old stand by recipe. Goes together so quickly. Best to use chicken not from can. I cut up the chicken in small bites and it cooks right in the pan. I admit I struggle with my cooking not coming easily to me. Can always count on this one. Kids, who are now grown up, have enjoyed this too.