Recipe by Ann B
A very tasty (and not red!) sweet & sour chicken that's makes an easy all in one meal and is actually eaten by my picky daughter
Top Review by BlueDoxie
Delicious! The vinegar, sugar, pineapple juice, and garlic combine to make a superb sweet-and-sour flavor that infuses the rice and chicken and makes your taste buds dance! I made one modification to the recipe and that is instead of 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, I used a 14 or 15 oz. jar of roasted red peppers packed in water (drained). Thank you, Ann B!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans pineapple tidbits, save juice (can also cut up pineapple pieces yourself)
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 5 cups Minute Rice
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown chicken in a bit of oil.
- Drain and return to pan.
- Drain pineapple tidbits, reserving liquid.
- Add water to liquid to make five cups.
- Add water/juice mixture to pan.
- Add vinegar, salt, garlic, and sugar as well.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover& simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove cover, stir in rice.
- Return cover and wait 5-10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in pineapple bits and chopped pepper.
- Heat through and serve.
- Can also add water chestnuts, bamboo, etc.
- at end if desired.