Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A very tasty (and not red!) sweet & sour chicken that's makes an easy all in one meal and is actually eaten by my picky daughter
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans pineapple tidbits, save juice (can also cut up pineapple pieces yourself)
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 5 cups Minute Rice
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- Brown chicken in a bit of oil.
- Drain and return to pan.
- Drain pineapple tidbits, reserving liquid.
- Add water to liquid to make five cups.
- Add water/juice mixture to pan.
- Add vinegar, salt, garlic, and sugar as well.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover& simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove cover, stir in rice.
- Return cover and wait 5-10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in pineapple bits and chopped pepper.
- Heat through and serve.
- Can also add water chestnuts, bamboo, etc.
- at end if desired.
Delicious! The vinegar, sugar, pineapple juice, and garlic combine to make a superb sweet-and-sour flavor that infuses the rice and chicken and makes your taste buds dance! I made one modification to the recipe and that is instead of 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, I used a 14 or 15 oz. jar of roasted red peppers packed in water (drained). Thank you, Ann B!
This was super quick since I added cut upbreaded chicken fingers from the freezer (to the almost cooked rice). Next time I would modify the size, since it did make a ton of rice. I think some sliced toasted almonds or chow mein noodle on top could add a nice crunch, too. Roxygirl
This was really good and simple to prepare. A really nice sweet and sour recipe that not gooey and heavy on the sauce. A keeper for sure!