Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Based on a recipe from The Wholesome Junk Food Cookbook by Laura Trice. She says of this recipe, “This eggless cake is called a one pan cake because everything is mixed together in the baking pan. It makes for easy cleanup.” VARIATION: To make 14 whoopie pie halves, double the recipe except for the water. Drop ¼ cup batter on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and bake for about 20 minutes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached spelt flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole evaporated cane sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unprocessed sea salt
- 6 tablespoons expeller-pressed oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In ungreased 8-inch square pan, stir together spelt flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Stir in the oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour in the water and using a fork mix well together.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
This cake is a miracle! lol It is so easy to make, uses so little fat and leavening, but still comes out moist, fluffy and super yummy! We all loved this!
I used part whole spelt flour, reduced the sugar by half and used applesauce in place of the oil. Still this cake came out indulgent and chocolatey. Instead of glazing it, I threw some peanut butter and cinnamon chips on top of the still warm cake. YUM! Im sure the glaze would have been a winner, too, though. Next time...
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us, mersaydees! Made and reviewed for the Aussie/Kiwi Reunion Tag Game November 2011.