Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Rachel Ray Magazine December 2007/January 2008
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs roasting chickens, quartered, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 yellow potatoes, each cut into 4 wedges
- 4 thin carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch lengths
- 4 thin parsnips, peeled and cut into 2 inch lengths
- 10 fresh thyme sprigs
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425°F Place chicken in a large roasting pan, rub with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the potatoes, carrots and parsnips with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the vegetables around the chicken and scatter 8 thyme sprigs on top. Roast until the vegetables are tender and the chicken juices run clear when leg is pricked, about 40 minutes. Pick the leaves from the remaining 2 thyme sprigs and sprinkle on top.
This was easy and great. It was my first use of parsnips and was a great intro to this very underrated item. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is I think there is just something missing. Can't put my finger on it but I wanted a little more flavor, maybe a little spice.