Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Got this one from a friend. We love it - hope you do also. Freezable. DO NOT substitute green beppers for the yellow - the soup will have a strange color. If you like a spicier fare use halapeno pepper instead of cayenne.
- 32 ounces low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 yellow peppers
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, approx
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Put broth in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, wash and slice sweet potatoes 1/2 inch thick (don't bother peeling them, but trim any hard spots or root fibers) and add to the pot. Return to a boil, cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stem, seed and chop bell peppers and jalapeno (if using, Chop them coarsely; they'll be blended later).
- Add them to sweet potatoes as you prepare them. Add garlic and thyme and stir.
- When sweet potatoes are tender, place mixture in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth (if using a blender, do this in batches).
- Freeze in individual servings if desired.
- Thin with water or buttermilk, if desired, to the consistency you prefer. Season with pepper. Top with a dollop of sour cream, if you like.