Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I know there are already several stuffed pepper recipes here, but nothing was really tempting my taste buds (not even the ones that I’ve already posted) so, I decided to create another one. Feel free to use any color pepper you want, this is just my personal choice. Also, feel free to add more or less of the spices according to your taste buds. Be careful if you leave the spices the way they are--this is a hot one. Posted on March 26th, 2006
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 8 ounces tomato sauce, divided
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup instant rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cut 1 inch off of stem end of peppers, remove seeds and membrane.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine 1/2 of tomato sauce and rest of ingredients.
- Fill each pepper with half of mixture (each pepper will have a little extra filling).
- Place peppers in an 8x8-inch pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Over each pepper, pour 2 ounces of remaining sauce. Bake for 1 hour.
These were delicious! I added a little cumin and used cayenne pepper instead of red pepper flakes. I also used ground turkey and chopped up some fresh onion instead of using onion powder. I'm sure they would be great either way. I liked how it was so easy to make - you dont have to cook the rice or the meat. I made 4 peppers and froze 2 after cooking, and they were just as good the second time around.