Recipe by wildheart
Tasty white bread.
Top Review by Crazycook in PA
This was a slightly sweet, moist, tasty bread. I took the warm water and dissolved the yeast and proofed it for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, I put butter, not margarine, sugar and the salt in a mixing bowl. After the yeast was foamy, I added it to the mixing bowl and gradually added a cup at a time the flour and kneaded it in my KitchenAid mixer till smooth and elasticy. I put it in a greased bowl with a damp cloth and let it rise until doubled, turned it onto a floured cloth, rolled it out to a rectangle, folded it and placed it in a loaf pan and let it rise again and then baked it at 350 for 30 minutes. Wonderful bread!
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the butter, sugar, and salt into the warm water.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon flour and the yeast (Can use 1 Tablespoon yeast in place of the packet).
- Wait 5 minutes; if yeast does not bubble buy new yeast.
- Put flour in a large bowl; stir in yeast mix.
- Stir thoroughly; turn onto a floured board and knead.
- Knead in as much of the flour as possible to make a satiny dough; if dough is sticky add more flour a tablespoon at a time.
- Put dough in a greased bowl and turn to coat.
- Cover with a clean damp towel and let rise til double.
- Punch down; shape into loaf and put in greased loaf pan.
- Let rise.
- Bake at 375 for 50 minutes or until bottom sounds hollow when thumped.
- Can also be shaped into 12 dinner rolls or 8 hamburger buns.
- Bake for less time if using these shapes.