Prep 0 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is, without a doubt, the easiest way on earth to make homemade caramel.
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
- For an easy caramel topping or dip, simply heat Eagle Brand using the following directions. For safety reasons, heating the unopened can (an old cooking method) is NOT recommended. Instead use one of the following methods.
- OVEN METHOD; Pour 1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk into 9 inch pie plate. Cover with aluminum foil; place in larger shallow pan. Fill larger pan with hot water. Bake at 425° for 1 1/2 hours or until thick and caramel colored.
- STOVETOP METHOD; Pour 1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk into top of double boiler; place over boiling water. Over low heat, simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until thick and caramel colored. Beat until smooth.
- MICROWAVE METHOD; Pour 1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk into 2-quart glass measuring cup. Cook on 50% power (medium) 4 minutes, stirring briskly every 2 minutes until smooth. Cook on 30% power (medium-low) 20 to 26 minutes or until very thick and caramel-colored, stirring briskly every 4 minutes during the first 16 minutes and every 2 minutes the last 4 to 10 minutes.
- CAUTION: NEVER HEAT UNOPENED CAN
- NEVER let the water level get down to the top of the can (s), because this could cause the can (s) to explode.
Thank you so much for posting this safer version! I used the oven method and it turned out great.
I have always made this by boiling an unopened can for an hour, and it has worked fine. But I was happy to have another way to go, as I didnt like having my daughter in the room while boiling. The oven meathod worked great, but was a little drier than in the can (not much) I couldnt get the microwave method to work, but have a higher powed microwave than most, so that maybe why.
I found this site AFTER making it by boiling the can for 4 hours. No explosions, thank goodness! It turned out very yummy. However, it was tedious to watch for 4 hours, and the suggestion of possible explosion made me uncomfortable. Will try one of these methods next time.