Rich and hearty, but with lots of veggies that have been slow-cooked so that they seem to melt into the other ingredients. Don't scoff at the Tomato Soup in the recipe - it adds wonderful body and a bit of sweetness to balance the spice. If you like it hotter, kick it up with additional hot sauce. Bammmm!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes, diced
- 1 (11 ounce) can cream of tomato soup (condensed type)
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can ranch style beans or 1 (15 ounce) can chili hot beans
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer or 1 (12 ounce) bottle water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (or more)
- Heat oil in deep pot, add all vegetables and allow to saute slowly for 10-15 minutes, insuring that the vegetables are very soft.
- When vegetables are soft, add ground chuck right into the pot with the vegetables; brown and stir to break up. Cook until all pink is gone. Drain any excess fat.
- Add minced garlic, stir and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Clean out cans with a little water and add that too. Allow to simmer 30 minutes.
- Serve with chopped onion, cilantro, shredded cheese and sour cream.