Recipe by PanNan
This is a very old family recipe. I remember eating and enjoying this hand churned ice cream when I was very young and living in Missouri at the time. The preparation time depends on the type of ice cream maker you have. I've listed only the time it takes to assemble the ingredients. It's best to freeze the ice cream a few hours before serving to harden it. If you have a smaller ice cream maker, you can adjust the recipe.
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 junket rennet tablets
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 quarts whole milk (approximate amount)
- 2 cups fruit puree (or chopped fruit) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the Junket Rennet tablets in 1 tbsp warm water.
- Put beaten eggs, Eagle Brand Milk, evaporated milk, sugar, dissolved tablets, vanilla and salt in one gallon ice cream freezer container.
- Add fruit, if desired.
- You may need more sugar depending on the tartness of the fruit.
- Fill container with whole milk.
- Operate freezer per manufacturer instructions.
- Place finished ice cream in freezer for a few hours to harden before serving.