Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was going to make my outstanding brownies(posted) for my friends birthday but didn't have enough cocoa, then i dug out my edmonds new zealand recipe book and found this, i mixed up the soda and the baking powder but it still turned out absolutely delicious. this was in the top 20 voted by new zealanders. mine turned out an odd shape but that is due to me just stuffing the baking paper in
- 50 g butter
- 14.79 ml golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml cocoa
- 236.59 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 0.19 ml vanilla essence
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 177.44 ml milk
- 473.18 ml icing sugar
- 1.23 ml butter, softened
- 29.58 ml water, aprox
- 1.23 ml vanilla essence
- 14.79 ml cocoa (2 for a richer icing)
- pre-heat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- grease a 20cm round cake tin and line base with baking paper.
- melt butter and syrup in a small saucepan.
- pour melted ingredients into a small bowl.
- add egg and sugar, beat well.
- sift cocoa, flour and BAKING POWDER together.
- fold sifted ingredients and essence into egg mixture.
- dissolve baking soda in milk.
- fold into egg mixture.
- pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- leave in tin 5 minutes before turning out onto wire rack.
- when cold ice with chocolate icing.
- Chocolate Icing:.
- sift icing sugar and cocoa in a bowl, add butter, add sufficient water to mix to a spreadable consistency, flavour with essence.
The cake is moist but it burned. The temperature must be too high I guess. You really need to keep an eye on your cake while you bake it. And the icing is amazing :-)
Fantastic and quick chocolate cake. I substituted 'Ljus sirap' instead of golden syrup as I am currently in Sweden and golden syrup is not widely available. However, the cake still turned out extremely moist and delicious. I would certainly make it again.
im a kiwi, and this recipe has kept me and many others very happy, it is a very low cost recipe and has never failed, try it with some of your favourite berry jam on top then cover with icing. mmmmm yummmiieee.