I was going to make my outstanding brownies(posted) for my friends birthday but didn't have enough cocoa, then i dug out my edmonds new zealand recipe book and found this, i mixed up the soda and the baking powder but it still turned out absolutely delicious. this was in the top 20 voted by new zealanders. mine turned out an odd shape but that is due to me just stuffing the baking paper in
- 50 g butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 drops vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons water, aprox
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon cocoa (2 for a richer icing)
- pre-heat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- grease a 20cm round cake tin and line base with baking paper.
- melt butter and syrup in a small saucepan.
- pour melted ingredients into a small bowl.
- add egg and sugar, beat well.
- sift cocoa, flour and BAKING POWDER together.
- fold sifted ingredients and essence into egg mixture.
- dissolve baking soda in milk.
- fold into egg mixture.
- pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- leave in tin 5 minutes before turning out onto wire rack.
- when cold ice with chocolate icing.
- Chocolate Icing:.
- sift icing sugar and cocoa in a bowl, add butter, add sufficient water to mix to a spreadable consistency, flavour with essence.