Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Looking for something new and different? Tired of the same old thing? Try this quick and easy stove top one dish meal that uses top quality pantry items and staples and cooks in one pot! Less dishes, less time, equals a happy MAMA! This is also great with some cooked ham rather than chicken! NOTE: Instead of the box mix you can use my homemade recipe for mac and cheese Mama's Best Macaroni and Cheese Also, when using a lot of pantry items you can UP the taste and freshness level by adding some fresh ingredients like fresh parsley or other herbs, fresh cheese or even sneak in some fresh veggies like a little diced/minced celery, bell pepper, garlic or onion. Some green veggies like peas or broccoli would be a great addition here too! Consider this recipe as a spark to light your creativity!
- 283.49 g can tomatoes and green chilies, a can of diced tomatoes can be sub'd if you do not want spicy
- 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 340.19 g package macaroni shells and cheese
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 118.29 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray and saute chicken on medium-high heat for about 5 minute or until cooked through.
- Drain liquid from tomatoes into a 2 cup liquid measuring cup and add enough hot water to measure 1-3/4 cups.
- Add macaroni, tomatoes and the tomato liquid mixture to the pan and mix well.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 9 to 10 minute or until macaroni is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese sauce from mac and cheese package and sour cream until well blended.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese on top and cover.
- Let stand 1 to 2 minute or until cheese is melted.
- TIP: Reduced fat items can be used but I don't recommend nonfat.
Super fast and tasty dinner. I used tinned tomatoes without chilies as I don't personally like it spicy, but then I put hot sauce on it for my fiancé as he loves spice! Perfect compromise! This was the perfect weeknight dinner and is really delicious!
Yum, yum, yum! I didn't even add the chicken, but this was still great. I used velveeta's whole grain rotini & cheese, lowfat shredded cheese, and light sour cream - to cut calories and squeeze some whole grains in where I could. This IS spicy, but very good. It might even be good with ground beef for a tex-mex mac & cheese. :) Thank you so much for sharing - what a great idea!!
I admit, I changed a lot here, but I wanted to thank you for the inspiration. I stuffed the chicken in large shells, and instead of the mac & cheese sauce used velvetta (omitted sour cream entirely), and smothered the lot of it with cheese. Yum. Thanks for sparking my creativity! :)