Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A healthy all-in-one recipe using bay scallops, rice and vegetables. From "Looneyspoons".
Make and share this One Dish Scallop Meal recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained,cut up
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 1 T. dried)
- 3⁄4 lb bay scallop
- In a large saucepan, combine onions, celery, green pepper, garlic, and 1/4 cup of the chicken broth.
- Saute vegetables over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add remaining chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add rice.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until rice is almost tender.
- Add parsley and scallops.
- Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes, until scallops are tender and opaque.
- Stir well and serve.
I didn't have any tomato paste and I was a little too generous with the red pepper flakes but still tasted great and I'll make it again.
I won't leave stars because I changed the recipe to fit my family's needs. I didn't use tomato paste, used home canned tomatoes and chicken stock. I also substituted brown rice for white, cooking it a little longer to compensate, then added the scallops. Wasn't sure hubby would like it, but was pleasantly surprised! He was very complimentary and would eat it again! I thought it was great, a wonderful recipe to start from. I am grateful you posted this recipe and plan to put it in my permanent paper file. Keep up the good work!
This was great; so flavorful and hardly any fat. I omitted the celery and green peppers but it was fantastic. Easy to make, made a ton of food. I could see this being really tasty with chicken as well (my husband's not a huge scallop fan but he enjoyed it). Has a real southwest-y flavor, with all the chili powder and cumin. Will definitely make again!