Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is Sanjeev Kapoor's light and oil-free rice preparation from the Young Times magazine. I hope you like it as much as my family does!
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, washed,soaked in 3 cups of water for half an hour and then drained before using
- 2 medium carrots, washed,peeled and cut into 1 cm sized cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, washed,peeled and chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled,washed and chopped
- 7 white pearl onions, peeled,washed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons raisins, washed and patted dry
- 6 sprigs of fresh curry leaves, washed and torn
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 black cardamom pods or 2 green cardamoms
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 7 -8 black peppercorns, crushed
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, washed and chopped,to garnish
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet.
- Add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, curry leaves and cardamoms.
- Then toss in the onions and ginger.
- Stir-fry until golden brown.
- Add the carrots and tomatoes.
- Saute until the tomatoes are softened.
- Add salt and 4 cups of water.
- Note:You can also use Maggi vegetable broth with onions or chicken broth as a substitute instead of water if you want a more flavourful dish.
- Add drained rice, raisins, peppercorns and tomato puree.
- Stir well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower flame and cook on a simmer until all the water/broth has been absorbed by the rice.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Garnish with corriander leaves.
- Serve hot.