1 hr 5 mins
This is Sanjeev Kapoor's light and oil-free rice preparation from the Young Times magazine. I hope you like it as much as my family does!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, washed,soaked in 3 cups of water for half an hour and then drained before using
- 2 medium carrots, washed,peeled and cut into 1 cm sized cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, washed,peeled and chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled,washed and chopped
- 7 white pearl onions, peeled,washed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons raisins, washed and patted dry
- 6 sprigs of fresh curry leaves, washed and torn
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 black cardamom pods or 2 green cardamoms
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 7 -8 black peppercorns, crushed
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, washed and chopped,to garnish
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1Heat oil in a non-stick skillet.
- 2Add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, curry leaves and cardamoms.
- 3Then toss in the onions and ginger.
- 4Stir-fry until golden brown.
- 5Add the carrots and tomatoes.
- 6Saute until the tomatoes are softened.
- 7Add salt and 4 cups of water.
- 8Note:You can also use Maggi vegetable broth with onions or chicken broth as a substitute instead of water if you want a more flavourful dish.
- 9Add drained rice, raisins, peppercorns and tomato puree.
- 10Stir well.
- 11Bring to a boil.
- 12Lower flame and cook on a simmer until all the water/broth has been absorbed by the rice.
- 13Stir in lemon juice.
- 14Garnish with corriander leaves.
- 15Serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for One Dish Meal: Carrot and Tomato Pulao
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.1
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 40.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black cardamom pods