Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
"The Gravy Makes Itself!" proclaims the advertisement from 1963. This recipe was published by Carnation Evaporated Milk and was found in the May 17, 1963 edition of Life magazine.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk, undiluted
- 10 1⁄2 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 -10 small cooked onions
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- paprika, to taste
- Heat oven to 425 F.
- Coat Chicken with Flour.
- Arrange Chicken in single layer with skin sides down in Melted Butter in an 8 x 12 casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn Chicken, bake for another 15-20 minutes or until brown and tender.
- Pour off excess fat.
- Combine Evaporated Milk, Soup, Cheese, Salt and Pepper.
- Add Mushrooms and Onions to Chicken.
- Pour Milk mixture over Chicken.
- Sprinkle with Paprika.
- Cover dish with foil.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 F.
- Continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve with Potatoes, Vegetables or Rice.