Recipe by GlamAtomic
"The Gravy Makes Itself!" proclaims the advertisement from 1963. This recipe was published by Carnation Evaporated Milk and was found in the May 17, 1963 edition of Life magazine.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk, undiluted
- 10 1⁄2 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 -10 small cooked onions
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- paprika, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425 F.
- Coat Chicken with Flour.
- Arrange Chicken in single layer with skin sides down in Melted Butter in an 8 x 12 casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn Chicken, bake for another 15-20 minutes or until brown and tender.
- Pour off excess fat.
- Combine Evaporated Milk, Soup, Cheese, Salt and Pepper.
- Add Mushrooms and Onions to Chicken.
- Pour Milk mixture over Chicken.
- Sprinkle with Paprika.
- Cover dish with foil.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 F.
- Continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve with Potatoes, Vegetables or Rice.