I love this meal for it's ease and down home goodness. You can make this one dish meal in less than 30 minutes. It's pretty too! You could substitute chopped carrots for the red pepper if you'd prefer. It reminds me of chicken pot pie without the 'pie'. Comfort! It makes A LOT so you can serve half of it and freeze the other half for a quick dinner some other night. From Simple & Delicious courtesy of Danette Forbes. *NOTE: this recipe does not include many spices, etc.. It is meant to be a comfort food type of recipe. If you enjoy spice, go ahead and throw some in!! This recipe is also versatile in terms of what veggies you like. Have fun with it. :)
- 1 (16 ounce) package bow tie pasta
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pcs
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the pkg. directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet or dutch oven, cook the chicken and red pepper (or carrots) in melted butter over medium heat for about 6 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Stir in the soup, peas, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Drain pasta and add to the chicken mixture, tossing to coat.
- If freezing: Cool remaining mixture and transfer to a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the fridge overnight. Transfer to an ungreased, shallow 3 quart microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until heated through, stirring once.