Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
A simple and delicious beef pot pie made from scratch. All you have to do is mix and bake. This recipe comes from www.breadworld.com
Top Review by Annacia
We really enjoyed this tonight. I used leftover pot roast and DH said I could make it anytime (high praise!). Now, as to the working of the recipe, the batter remains on the bottom and ends up being one dumpling on steroids (YES!, I can finally make a dumpling :D). I added no sweetening of any sort and it tasted marvelous with the meat topping. In the topping I skipped the Sherry (don't care for it) and used just red pepper. I would have liked a bit more gravy in the mix. It looked like plenty when I topped the batter but there wasn't much when it came out of the oven. A 2 serving size fed myself and DH with a bit left for Dh to have a snack tomorrow. I'm very glad that I tagged this in Photo Tag and it will be made again. :D
- mazola pure cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour or 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopesfleischmann's fast rising yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup very warm water (120 to 130 F)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper (red and green)
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional)
- 1 (3/4 ounce) package mushroom gravy mix
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups cooked beef, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare an 8x8 baking dish by spraying with cooking spray.
- Mix the batter ingredients together in the prepared baking dish and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Saute the mushrooms and bell peppers for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add sherry.
- Stir in gravy mix and water.
- Cook until boiling and thickened.
- Remove pan from heat and add beef.
- Put beef filling evenly over batter.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Place dish in a cold oven.
- Set temperature to 350°F and bake for 30 minutes, or until done.