Recipe by Spicy Gal
If you like avocado, mandarin oranges, and raw sunflower seeds... well, give this a try! A typical native Californian, I love to create experimental salads; this one has gotten thumbs up from family and guests alike over the years, so I hope fellow Recipezaarians will enjoy it, too. We've particularly found it to be a nice complement to Mexican meals. Note: you can use any kind of salad greens you like, but IMHO, it's not really a Californian salad if *iceberg* is the only lettuce used! Just kidding -- the important thing is to make it how you like it, of course. Bon appetit.
- 3 -4 cups mixed romaine lettuce or 3 -4 cups bibb lettuce or 3 -4 cups boston lettuce (and/or others)
- 1⁄3 cup chives or 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- balsamic vinaigrette or Italian dressing, to taste