Recipe by momthecook #2
This is practically as easy as a cake mix. It makes a real splash in appearance.
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) can chocolate frosting
Directions See How It's Made
- Throw first 10 ingredients into a bowl.
- With an electric mixer at low speed, mix until ingredients are all moistened.
- Scrape down bowl and turn mixer to high speed.
- Mix for 3 minutes.
- Divide between three 8" round greased cake pans and bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.
- Whip cream with instant coffee and sugar.
- Place first layer of cooled cake on serving plate and top with half of the whipped cream.
- Cover with the second layer and put the other half of the cream on.
- Top with third layer.
- Heat the ready made frosting for about 15 seconds in the microwave, until just pourable.
- Pour over the top of the cake to make a glaze. The whipped cream will peek out of the sides.
- Once the actual cake is made, the assembly only takes a couple of minutes, and it will look like you are a kitchen magician.