Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I pilfered this from www.thekitchn.com
- 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (or any other cheese that suits your fancy)
- Combine the pasta, water and salt in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on HIGH in 2 minute intervals until the pasta is al dente, stirring between each interval. This should take about 6-8 minutes total. If the pasta absorbs all the water before the pasta is cooked, add another 2 tablespoons of water.
- Stir in the milk and the cheddar cheese. Microwave on HIGH in 30 second intervals until the cheese has melted into a creamy sauce, stirring between each interval for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes total. For a creamier sauce, add an extra tablespoon or two of milk and cheese.
- OPTIONAL ADD-INS: Add any of these along with the milk and cheese: diced onions, diced peppers, diced tomatoes, shredded leftover meat, a few tablespoons of salsa, 1/4 teaspoon dried mustard, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika.