Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is an easy one-bowl recipe! If you prefer more sauce on the cake, then the butter sauce can easily be doubled.
Top Review by The Real Cake Baker
10 Stars for this one. My customers devour this cake and so do I. The only substitution I make is I add 2 tablespoons of rum to the cake mixture and I also add 1/2 a cup of rum to the glaze after I remove it from the stove. I also poke a lot of whole threw the cake using a skewer.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar (or more, depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, room temperature (no substitutions)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter (no substitutions)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan or a 12-cup bundt pan.
- In a large bowl combine all cake ingredients; beat on low speed until moistened, then beat for another 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until cake tests done.
- For the butter sauce; in a saucepan, over low heat combine all sauce ingredients; cook just until the butter melts, stirring occasionally (do not boil).
- When cake is done remove from oven and pierce all over cake with a large fork or a long thin straw; pour the sauce all over the warm cake.
- Let stand 5 minutes, or until sauce is absorbed.