Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Adapted from a 2001 edition of Better Homes and Gardens
Make and share this One Bowl Hummingbird Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups plain flour
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 250 g crushed pineapple, with liquid
- 2 ripe bananas, chopped
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in bowl.
- Stir in eggs and oil.
- Add crushed pineapple with its juice and bananas.
- Pour into 2 buttered and floured 20cm cake tins.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked.
- Cool in tins for 10 mins the cool on rack.
- Frost and fill if desired - cream cheese frosting works well here.
Made this tonight with my daughter. It was simple and quick to mix up, and used ingredients I always have on hand. I had to use a 9"x13" glass baking pan since that is what was available. That threw off the baking just a little and I found the edges were just starting to get a bit over done and rather dry by the time the center of the cake finished baking. I must admit that I thought the cake would be too sweet for my liking however; it wasn't. I think it is fine without any frosting, but can't wait to make it again when I have cream cheese on hand as I think a nice cream cheese frosting would definitely compliment the cake well. Made and reviewed for the 70th AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.
After reading the comment of Alligirl, I decided to use only 1 cup of oil. And also I used 1 cup of white sugar. I baked it at 350 F for 50 minutes in a greased bundt pan. It's delicious. I topped it with a cream cheese icing. Thanks kate :) Made for Holiday tag game
I changed this up a little; I made 24 cupcakes, instead of 2 8 inch layers. They baked for about 22 minutes. I should have reduced the temperature a bit, but they were just fine. I also wonder if the oil could be reduced just a bit, as it seemed like a lot, and the cupcake papers were a little greasy on the bottom. This went together quickly and I was able to share it a little easier, with the cupcakes. Thanks for sharing a great recipe, katew.