Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
"Cake is my favorite dessert - especially frosted cake." So says Anna Ginsberg from Austin, Tx. The recipe was found on cookinglightcentral.com. I didn't include cooling time for cake in the recipe, that will vary according to the weather and humidity. I am so glad Anna Ginsberg chose to share this recipe and that we were able to make this delicious cake!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa (I used Hershey's)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup hot strong brewed coffee (I used Cuban coffee)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup semisweet chocolate morsel (I used a combination of Hershey's & Netsle's)
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup light chocolate syrup (Hershey's Lite Syrup)
- almonds, toasted and chopped fine
- TO PREPARE CAKE:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour and next 6 ingredients(through salt) in a large bowl.
- Add mayonnaise and oil beat with a mixer at low speed until well blended.
- Slowly add brewed coffee and vanilla, beat with a mixer at low speed 1 minute or until well blended.
- Stir in chocolate; pour batter into 9x13" baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- TO PREPARE MOCHA CREAM:.
- Combine water and granules in a large bowl stir until granules dissolve.
- Add marshmallow creme; beat with a mixer at low speed until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Spread mocha cream over top of cake; drizzle with chocolate syrup and sprinkle with nuts.
This was such a pretty cake and was enjoyed by all. The base itself had a bit of a strong taste to it probably from all that strong coffee but with the frosting and syrup it wasn't really noticeable although next time I think I'd substitute orange juice for the coffee anyway.