Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is an oldie but a goodie from Super Foods Ideas magazine that I have adapted a little.
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2⁄3 cup almond meal
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond essence or 1 teaspoon try rum or 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat butter,sugar and milk in saucepan till melted.
- Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Sift flour,cocoa and soda together into saucepan.
- Stir in almond meal, eggs and essence.
- Pour into greased and lined 20 cm round cake tin.
- Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 40 - 50 minutes.
- Cool in tin and the turn onto rack.
- Ice with your favourite frosting or ganache.
We loved this super simple cake Kate. I didn't have any bi carb soda, but that didn't seem to matter, used vanilla paste and finished with a chocolate ganache. I baked at 160c fan forced for 40 minutes would consider reducing that by a few minutes next time.
This cake was dead easy to make. I wondered about the flavour but this improved on the second day, and it was much better iced. My husband didn't care for it much but my workmate begged for the recipe. Keeper for me, thanks. Cheers!
A seriously easy cake with a delicious end result. I substituted almond meal with all purpose flour as we are not on a low carb diet. I made the cake in an 8x8 inch cake pan and got 4 x 4 nice squares. Thanks for sharing. Made for Holiday Tag.